Monday, September 29, 2008

Monday Night MisAdventures

Okay, I know you are probably wondering why I'm posting pictures of our air conditioner, upper level windows and Jaxon's bedroom window. Well, here's the story...........
It's Monday night and it's beautiful outside. For FHE, we decided to go to the park and play. The kids are excited, raring to go. Sean gets a phone call and is outside talking and I get the kids ready to go. They head outside, just as Sean is finishing up his phone call. The conversation between he and I goes something like this:
Holly: Are you ready to go yet?
Sean: Yes, give me just a minute.
Holly: (walking out the door) Do you have keys?
Sean: (shutting the door as he speaks) Yeah, I've got the house key.
Holly: Okay. Kids, let's go!
Sean: Oh crap! I grabbed the old house key! I don't have the new keys! Do you have yours?
Holly: NO! I asked you if you had your keys!
Sean: Well, I've been too busy to change the keys around on my keyring. What are we going to do?
Now, mind you, it's 7 p.m. and it's starting to get a little dark. We make some very frantic phone calls--to the handyman who replaced our door last week (hoping he had our landlord's phone number, which he did), to the landlord who had the second new key to our door but who didn't answer, and to 411 to find a locksmith, who wanted to charge us $150 to come out and unlock our door. I have never felt so desperate in my life!
Well, lucky for us, I hadn't locked the van earlier in the day so the kids and I were able to hang out in there while Sean tried to figure out what we were going to do. Abby, Jaxon and I, while sitting in the van, decided to say a little prayer. We asked Heavenly Father to help us figure out a way to get into our house quickly so we wouldn't have to pay the $150. Not 5 minutes later, the doors on the van started opening and Sean came out with the keys to the van in his hands which could only mean one thing-- he had been able to get into the house somehow.
He had gone around the back of our townhome and climbed on top of the air conditioning unit and was able to climb up on the roof to check the windows to Abby and Jaxon's rooms. Apparently, when Sean had closed the windows yesterday when the rain started, he hadn't locked one of the windows in Jaxon's room and he was able to lift the window up and climb through into the house. Talk about an answer to a prayer!
As soon as we got in the house, we knelt down as a family and said the most grateful prayer we could offer. And right after that, our landlord called. Talk about timing.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow, that is awesome you could get back in the house. However, maybe locking the windows in the future would be a good thing as well. I would be the one to worry about that leading to something later on.

Danielle said...

Oh wow, that has happened to us before, lucky for quick thinking huh! Nice job hubby.

Kaylynn said...

What a story. Did you ever make it to the park?

Cassie said...

Things like that are great memories but not so great at the time. How are you liking your new place?

Ali said...

Holly, that is crazy!! I love answered prayers, your kids will remember that the rest of there life!!
love ya

Anna M. said...

I love that Heavenly Father always answers our prayers...and that He answered yours quickly! =)

cuqui said...

HI Holly! I can believe that Abby is going to school already. I still think of them as babies.

Shandis said...

Yes! I totally remember you! I can't believe you live in NJ?!?! No one lives in NJ that I know! That is awesome! What brings you here? Well email me give me all the details! So good to hear from you! cardonashan@comcast.net

Jenny and Chris Dixon said...

That is a very cool story. It's good to know that prayers can answered right when you need it most. It made me smile.

Amanda said...

Great story to remember--especially when you're feeling like Heavenly Father isn't hearing your prayers.

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

That is such a cute story. What a great FHE night for your kids. Those surprise teaching moments seem to stick!